[PD-dev] repository layout

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Sep 11 19:58:03 CEST 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> - moved abstractions&extensions&xgui&Framestein into externals

good thing, as long as "abstractions" does not become a subfolder of
"externals"... but I would rather have it under a common name that isn't
"abstractions" nor "externals".

I suppose that "xgui" and "Framestein" retain their folder, whereas
"abstractions", "externals", "extensions" contents are merged together.

> - desiredata&pd-devel live beside "pd" (not in a separate branch)

If Thomas hasn't changed his mind, pd-devel is going to be obsolete soon.
The latest changes still have to be picked up from there and moved
somewhere else, such as sf.net patchtracker and the desiredata branch, but
for all practical purposes, there will be no such branch. Let me also say
that pd-devel very much deserves to be a branch (rather than a plain
folder) because it has rather high mergeability with Miller's branch.

In contrast, for the new DesireData (since dec.2006), I no longer attempt
mergeability of any part of it. There's no future goal of keeping any part
of the code in sync with pd for any reason whatsoever. All the sync
necessary is to be done using automated tests (no matter how much work
that is, it's worth it)

> - "supercollider" has moved into scripts (i am not sure about this, but
> it seems to be the best place, since "bash_completion" is already in
> there; "supercollider" is no external, it is rather a set of sc3-scripts
> to ease the use of pd&sc together)

"scripts" is a vague name I'd get rid of. Also, "gripd" contains a high
ratio of non-"abstraction", non-"external" files. I don't know whether
this ought to be taken into account when categorising projects...

> both branches/tags should only be used for:
>  - releases (+maintenance)
>  - legacy (discontinued) projects
> for quick experimental branches (e.g. if you want to implement a feature
> but do not want to spill the trunk), i would suggest a 4th
> meta-directory "experimental", like:
>  /experimental/pd-0.40-kiosk/

I don't know why you want this. You say what people should do according to
yourself, but you don't explain what's your motivation for it.