[PD-dev] 'svn move' candidates

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Feb 7 22:37:49 CET 2008

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

>> How does /branches/discontinued work?  that sounds like a good choice
>> for Framestein.
> well, nothing special; it is a folder where discontinued projects can be
> moved to, so they don't fill up the "trunk".
> the folder could also be called "deprecated" (but this is so negative)

Discontinued projects and deprecated projects are not the same. As an
excellent example, the GZIP project was mostly left "undeveloped" for over
10 years. So what? there was no need to release anything. From the
moment it stopped being developed until the next bugfix, its popularity
increased perhaps 100-fold or 1000-fold.

If an external/extension/module is perfect as it is, there's no reason to
change it, and it can be as discontinued as you want, it's still working.

I agree that Framestein seems to have fallen out of fashion, but
"discontinued" is not the criterion of exclusion that you are looking for.

>> "extensions" was meant for GUI extensions like xgui and gripd.  AFAIK,
>> "supercollider" is an external for interfacing to SuperCollider with Pd.
> i did not know that "extensions" was GUI related...

I don't think that it was meant for GUI at all. It happened to collect
that because the name "extensions" is more generic than what has been
traditionally called "externals" in pd, so, it collects anything that is
"external" in the non-pd meaning of "external" but is not a shared
library.

Anyway, if it was really meant for GUI, it never was clear, and I think
that my explanation about the origin of the name "extensions" is perfectly
reasonable.

> anyhow, i thought (having never used it), the "supercollider" is more
> like a framework to get sc3 and Pd work together nicely (with a Pd-part
> and an sc3-part); but i've never used it, so i might be easily mistaken.
> i think the key point of both of us is, that all 3 of them should be
> moved out of "/trunk"

Is that "supercollider" component broken or obsolete? AFAIK, SC3 sounds
like it's quite current. It's not like it was made for SC1 or something.