[PD-dev] new distro: pd-vanilla+libs

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Apr 18 14:46:32 CEST 2008

Hallo Hans,
> Now that Pd can be built on all platforms without patches, I think we
> can have a "pd-vanilla+libs" distro that is based on an unpatched pd-
> vanilla build.  It could also have a more limited subset of included
> libraries, much like others have been proposing.  They would be
> having the same library format and install methods as Pd-extended, so
> that patches would be compatible.

I think, this is a very good idea and I'll stick it on my TODO list,
however I believe, that instead of a vanilla+libs bundle a pure "libs"
installer/package would be more appropriate, kind of like the
traditional pd-externals package. We already have binary packages of
vanilla Pd (Miller's and autobuild) and I believe it's easier to get
more people to use the same externals setup by providing a package
independent from a certain Pd build.

Ciao