[PD-dev] two embedded prefs for Mac: default and override all

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed May 14 00:35:29 CEST 2008

On May 13, 2008, at 9:11 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> SourceForge.net wrote:
>>> Comment By: Hans-Christoph Steiner (eighthave)
>>
>> That could work.  I don't think this will cover every possibility.  I
>> think a more straightforward approach would be to handle very special
>> hardware setups in the patch rather than the preferences.  I think
>> the
>> preferences should be general things, since you can't really query
>> or test
>> for failures with the preferences system.
>
> interesting, i would have done it the other way around: everything but
> the hardware should be handled in the patch, as these are the settings
> that make the patch load correctly.
> the hardware cannot be foreseen by the upstream author, so the user
> has
> to take care of that (they hopefully do know which hardware they
> are using)

I mean if you write a patch that needs special hardware, then you
would handle the settings in the patch.  I think most people set up
their primary hardware to the primary soundcard, then it "just works"
with Pd default audio settings.  Or at least I do it this way on ALSA
and Mac OS X (I only use Windows to test Pd bugs).

.hc