[PD-dev] cyclone and uppercase

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Mar 11 20:59:49 CET 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 3:22 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> The central and stated aim of cyclone is to provide Max/MSP
>> compatibility.  As of Max/MSP 4.5 or maybe 4.6, they downcased all of
>> the objects.  Therefore, in order for cyclone to remain compatible
>> with
>> recent versions of Max/MSP (we're talking like 5 years old), it
>> should
>> also work with the downcased names.  If someone can come up with a
>> better
>> way to support this, I am all ears.
>
> I think, it would be better to update Cyclone's maxmode then instead
> of making
> changes to the  library in general. I don't know exactly how and
> where this is
> programmed, but it's activated when you load cyclone as a real
> library.

I not sure what you mean by "real" library.  I guess all these
collections of code that I use all the time are not real... strange,
they seem to really work.   ;-P  Or maybe its like real and imaginary
numbers.  I guess I prefer imaginary libraries.  :D

FYI, you can now use [maxmode] in Pd-extended as a non-real library by
typing [cyclone/maxmode].

> For example probably one could register [mousestate] as an object
> that Cyclone
> will replace with [MouseState] in maxmode in additional to
> [MouseState].

Well, maxmode is that black magic that I was referencing.  I don't
really want to learn it in order to use these objects.  I think that
objects like [mousestate] are generally useful, so it would help in Pd
to have them lowercase, then we could think of the uppercase versions
as the Max/MSP compatibility mode.

.hc