[PD-dev] gem "pix_movie", playback starts immediately when opening file

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jun 15 11:16:01 CEST 2009

Hannes Breitschädel wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> setup: Windows XP-SP 3 / latests Gem / PD Release. (June 12/09)

just to make sure, your "latest" is the same as mine:
Pd-vanilla 0.42.5
Gem 0.92CVS20090528

if not, please specify full version numbers.

> My patch opens a motion jpeg coded avi-file with "pix_movie" and plays
> it back by "manually" switching the frames with a counter.
> Although no autoplay message is sent to pix_movie the movie starts to
> play immediatedly after opening the file instead of instantly showing
> the first frame.
> I tested on 4 different WinXP PCs and found out that the movie did not
> automatically play on 2 of them and 2 other showed the problem.
>
> There seems to be a correlation with Quicktime. At first pix_movie
> worked only on one pc. i had to install
> quicktime on the second computer and then it worked fine. unfortunately
> the installation of quicktime did not
> help on the second and third computer.
>
> any ideas?

[pix_movie] uses QuickTime and/or DirectShow (and/or vfw) to decode
videos on w32.
if it can find QuickTime at runtime, it will prioritize this over
DirectShow. if a movie cannot be opened by QuickTime, then it will fall
back to DirectShow.
while we are trying our best to make the decoding work the same with all
backends, sometimes there are inconsitencies (bugs!).

so, it seems like in your case using QuickTime made the problem go away
(so the QuickTime backend behaves as it should; while the DirectShow
backend probably does not. are you using the same video-files on all
machines or are they differing (e.g. Gem finds that it cannot use
QuickTime and falls back to DirectShow)

you find a bit of information when you carefully look at the output
inthe Pd-console. (things like "QuickTime: initialized"; or the number
of "..." lines when opening a file)

> does pix_movie depend on the graphics-card?

well, it depends on openGL as it directly uses textures to display the
frames. there souldn't be a difference in the functionality of
[pix_movie] regardless which gfx-card you use (and the only thing that
_might_ happen is problems with texturing; nothing that is related to
atuo-playing)

gfasdrm
IOhannes