[PD-dev] [PD] Feedback discussion

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 04:49:43 CEST 2009

I've got a project that I've put on the shelf and haven't finished.  I
wanted to figure out how to create stable acoustic feedback, and I can
show that a single long-length (on the order of RT60 room
reverberation time) FIR filter can be used to equalize the acoustic
feedback path.  I never succeeded in all my experiments except to
create really loud noises that I thought were going to destroy my
loudspeakers, burn down my house, etc...  Perhaps other people have
been more successful with acoustic feedback.

The primary problem I found was that simple inverse and regularized
least-squares methods would produce "ringing" and non-compact
solutions that would result in instability when applied.  I don't have
time to share all the math tonight, but I will help with the
"discussion" part of all this :)

Chuck