[PD-dev] svn on build farm (was Re: [GEM-dev] gem fails on 10.4)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 2 06:40:00 CET 2009

On Dec 1, 2009, at 8:57 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>

>> the svn client installed on the build-machine (/sw/bin/svn) is
>> somewhat
>> outdated (1.4.4) and refuses to "svn update" the sandbox.
>

> this seems to be a common problem on more of the build machines
> (e.g. i
> just noticed it on the ubuntu-hardy-lts-i386)
>
> for me this makes working on these machines a bit strange: you fix the
> code, login to the build machine, try to "svn update" (or rather: "svn
> info" or "svnversion" to see which revision was actually used) and get
> "svn: This client is too old to work with working copy"
>
> what?
>
> i guess, that for performance reasons (the sf repositories often suck)
> the repository is pulled only to a central machine and then
> distributed
> via rsync to the various build hosts.
> however, i haven't found any documentation on this.
>
> it would be nice if the tools installed on the build hosts would be
> able
> to cope with the repository.
> if this is too much hazzle (e.g. setting up a proxy, or whatever),
> could
> somebody learned please document e.g. on
> http://puredata.info/docs/developer/PdLab (or somewhere linked from
> there; or in the nice splashscreen on the build-machines) what is to
> be
> expected and what not?
>
> the workaround that does work (it seems), is to do another checkout
> with
> the system's own svn and work in this sandbox.
> i usually do this only on 2nd choice (in order to save bandwidth).
>
> i guess it's just a matter of knowing.
>
> fbm,asdr
> IOhannes

This is the documentation of the auto-build process, the last step is
where it rsyncs over the source tree, which is mainly for rsync's --
delete for a real clean start.

http://puredata.info/docs/developer/AutoBuildProcess

hardy's svn is indeed old (1.4.4).  The checkouts are actually done on
Debian/stable which has svn 1.5.1.  I'd recommend working on Debian/
stable or Ubuntu/karmic.  Otherwise on hardy, you'll need to check out
the code using its svn version in a separate folder.

All information should be free.  - the hacker ethic