[PD-dev] external on windows

Dominique Fober fober at grame.fr
Thu Oct 7 13:36:31 CEST 2010

Hi Albert,

Le 7 oct. 2010 à 11:43, Albert Graef a écrit :

> Dominique Fober wrote:
>> Thanks also to Hans-Christoph Steiner who helped with my "GUI external" question.
>> I have now a 'guido' pd external to display music scores based on the Guido Engine (http://guidolib.sourceforge.net) running on linux, mac os and windows.
>
> Cool. Dominique, I'd really like to try this on Linux but I couldn't
> find the sources of the plugin, are they available somewhere on
> guidolib.sf.net?

The source is included in the guidolib stuff. You can get it from the src distribution (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guidolib/files/Guidolib-src/) or from svn (svn co https://guidolib.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/guidolib guidolib)

Of course you need to compile and install the guido engine first.
The project is based on cmake and includes an 'install' target.

If you want to support the MusicXML format, you should also compile and install the MusicXML library (http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmusicxml/), also cmake based.

>> Now I have a 'newbie in externals dev' question: what is the best place to share that with Pd users? I can build binaries for Mac OS and windows but it's a little bit more complex for linux, or is there a main target platform to build binaries for (for example Ubuntu 10.04 32 or 64 bits).
>
> People use all kinds of different Linux versions and may run their own
> builds of pd-vanilla from svn, so sources are usually preferred. The Pd
> svn repo has all kinds of extensions in pure-data/trunk/externals/,
> that's usually where I grab the stuff that I need. If you can get commit
> access, you could put your external there so that it is visible/known to
> the Pd community. Or you could just maintain it in your own guido tree,
> ppl who know guido will know where to find it.

The problem is that due to the Guido Engine dependency, it's not just a couple of files that are needed but more than 500... it seems not reasonable to me to commit (and maintain) that on the pure-data svn.
The guido external itself is just one file (+ 2 optional files if you want to support MusicXML) but could it make sense to put only these files since they won't compile, apart that it makes them visible to the pd users.

--
Dom