[PD-dev] Pd-extended-0.43 appearance

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Oct 22 00:36:04 CEST 2011

On Oct 21, 2011, at 6:29 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-10-21 at 17:15 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> I totally believe you that Pd-extended was consistent to itself
>>> since
>>> 0.41. Still, the difference renders certain patches/abstractions
>>> somehow
>>> unportable between the two (extended and vanilla). What do you think
>>> would be the best way to deal with that?
>>
>> IMHO, it would be two things:
>>
>> - make Pd vanilla do what Pd-extended does in terms of box sizing
>
> 1) Why does Pd-vanilla have to adapt itself to Pd-extended (and not
> vice
> versa)?
>
> 2) What is it that Pd-extended does in terms of box sizing?
>
> 3) Is there any way I can help with that?

>> - or, even better, make pd send pd messages to pd-gui instead of Tcl,
>> and move GUI size, mouse, click, etc handling to pd-gui.  Then we get
>> zoomable GUIs and all sorts of other good things.  Big project tho
>
> Sorry, I think I am not able to help with that.
>
> Roman

Pd vanilla still has different box sizes on different platforms, if I
remember correctly, therefore the sizes will have to change somewhere.

I tried to get these changes into vanilla, but I guess Miller didn't
want them. I've already spent a lot of time on it, so I've moved on
since it works in Pd-extended.  There should be a whole history of the
discussion on pd-dev, i.e. the details of the issues.  I don't
remember them, I'm sure it was some annoying technical details.

Also, you can see the changes that pd-extended makes to puredata but
looking at the pd-extended.git in the 'patch_series' branch.

scarcity."        -John Gilmore