[PD-dev] Pd without audio device (was: signal object test template for automated unit testing)

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 21:26:11 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 22:11 +0200, katja wrote:
>

>> By the way if Pd does not sync with an audio device for whatever
>> reason, you get weird test results anyhow. Even if you do not want to
>> actually hear the sound, the audio device must work well, for these
>> signal object tests. That was one of the first things we observed in
>> practice.
>
> Can you elaborate on that? I used to use Pd setups without real audio
> device (for instance running Pd on a server producing an Icecast stream)
> and I never found anything odd. Probably it happens only under certain
> circumstances? Anyway, I'm interested to hear more about it as I always
> assumed that -noaudio should lead to same result as with audio (synced
> to a real device).

Roman you're right, a -noaudio Pd doesn't sync with a device and
therefore it can not have sync problems. Thanks for pointing to this.
It did not cross my mind to do signal tests with -noaudio but it may
be a good idea, to exclude sync troubles in any case. Pd started with
-noaudio is the same as Pd with input- and output- devices disabled,
and this can also be done with an audio-dialog message.

Katja