[PD-dev] Pd-extended-0.43 appearance

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 14:43:08 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 13:12 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2011, at 4:39 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> > * The symbol and number boxes are 2 px taller in Pd-extended than in
> >  Pd-vanilla.
> >  I think it is not possible to adjust one or the other without
> > breaking
> >  backwards compatibility of the respective flavor. So either Pd-
> > vanilla
> >  and Pd-extended will stay different for eternity or one of them needs
> >  to bite into the sour apple.
> >  Since the latter only hurts once, I'd prefer to latter. And since
> >  Pd-extended is a derivative of Pd-vanilla, I'd say it's Pd-extended
> >  that has to bite into the sour apple. What do you think?
>
> Pd-extended has been consistently sized since 0.39 and many people
> rely on that.  I'm pretty sure that Pd-vanilla did not get consistent
> box sizes until 0.43, but I could be wrong.  Here's some history on
> that topic, its the wiki I used to organize the box sizing effort for
> Pd-extended 0.39.
>
> http://puredata.info/dev/GuiSizeDifferences

I checked again. It seems that at least since 0.36 number and symbol
boxes have been 3 px (sorry, I was the whole time wrong with 2px) less
tall than object boxes. It's Pd-extended who arbitrarily introduced to
make them the same size. Also making it number and symbol boxes smaller
won't likely break any existing patches, but make them uglier.
Increasing the height will certainly break some GOP patches (as it does
happen now when opening patches created in vanilla on extended).

See attached picture.

> > * The fonts in Pd-vanilla look quite different across platforms. The
> >  situation is much better in Pd-extended, especially when the aliasing
> >  issue on Mac OS X will be resolved.
>

> The aliasing is actually a bugfix.  Pd-extended uses Monaco, which is
> a font designed to be not aliased.  Previously Pd-extended was scaling
> it a bit, so it appeared aliased. Now it is no longer scaling the
> Monaco font, so it appears in Pd-extended just like it would another
> Cocoa app.  Here's a pic of Pd-extended versus Apple TextEdit:

I see. Thanks for the info.

Roman