[PD-dev] help compiling pd 0.43 on Windows 7

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Nov 29 00:57:26 CET 2011

On Nov 28, 2011, at 5:12 PM, katja wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>>
>> I think Miller doesn't use MinGW, so building vanilla on Windows is probably easiest using MSVC like he does.  Pd-extended builds nightly (when the server is up) using the pd/src/makefile.mingw.
>

> Oow, I was in the assumption that 'new build system' was the preferred
> way for autobuilds. Well then I have to make it work with
> makefile.mingw. One purpose of my pathetic efforts is to get pd-double
> built this way so we can have pd-double-extended test builds for
> windows one day.
>
> It's so weird that makefile.mingw doesn't create
> makefile.dependencies, it only re-creates an empty
> makefile.dependencies when performing a clean. So I have to fool it
> with a dummy. Is there a better way to get this working? On OSX by the
> way, makefile.dependencies is always created with 'old build system',
> but it's empty sometimes, and filled with paths other times. In both
> cases the build will work. What is this mysterious behaviour?
>
> Makefile.mingw for vanilla seems to be outdated, some elements from
> makefile.mingw for pd-extended have to be incorporated to make it
> work. When s_utf8.c is added to SRC, and -lpthreadGC2 is replaced by
> -lpthread in LIBS, a build is at least produced. Is -lpthread
> compatible with the windows autobuild configuration?
>
> Is there a way to produce a 'local build' somehow with makefile.mingw?
> Like 'old build system' can do it without install, and 'new build
> system' can do it with option --prefix for configure?

The new build system is almost ready for nightly Windows builds, but not quite.  So the Pd-extended nightly builds still use pd/src/makefile.mingw.

If you want to work on this, then I think you'll need to port all of the new build system stuff from pd-extended to pd-double, where it works on Windows/MinGW.  Otherwise, you'll just be recreating that work.

The PdLab build Windows machine has both -lpthread and -lpthreadGC2, but -lpthread is the preferred route and is standard in the latest MinGW.