[PD-dev] maintenance of builds for deken

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jul 6 14:09:45 CEST 2015

On 2015-07-06 13:20, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> lso, there is the old rule, that devs only commit to their own folder
> in svn. Now, some parts haven't been touched for years and it seems
> cumbersome for everyone involved to make requests to the original author
> to apply certain changes.  Should I commit my changes (build system
> stuff) directly to svn (i.e. by ignoring that rule)?

i don't think you should *ignore* the rule.
however, if you talk to the "owner" of a directory, they might be ok
with you committing there directly.
as for the un-owned libraries (e.g. the original dev moved to other
shores), the more popular ones have a "maintainer" that takes care of
them. just check the latest commits to find out who that would be.
as i see it, you are trying to become "maintainer" of these libraries.

>  Or would it be
> better, we move the maintained stuff out of svn and host them as git
> repository under the pure-data umbrella on github.com? Or am I better of
> with just doing my stuff privately (as I did for now)?

my personal perference is modelled after Debian, where the development
("upstream") and the maintenance ("Debian") are two different things and
are to be kept separate.
i think this is the only proper way that allows for multiple build
workflows and setups.
using a unified build-system (template/Makefile, katja's pd-lib-builder)
are greate initiatives for *upstream*.
they *also* make live significantly simpler for maintainers (as they can
apply the same logic to multiple packages).
at the same time, maintainers should be prepared to tweak
out-of-the-ordinary build systems.

i have started something like this with my "pd-iem" project [1], a
kitchen-sink builder for a few selected libraries.
it's probably a tad complicated to setup and running, as it is targeted
at automated builds.

btw, my secret plan was to convert the pd-iem libraries to deken
packages sooner rather than later (these include w32 and osx binaries;
all libraries included in pd-iem are also packaged in Debian, which
deken can use by now as well).

fgmasd
IOhannes

[1] https://github.com/iem-projects/pd-iem