[PD-dev] New [command] external

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 16:37:56 CEST 2021

On Tue, 2021-09-21 at 19:17 +0300, Alexandros wrote:
> It's been some time since you posted this, and there's silence on
> this topic. I would just like to say that I'm very interested in a
> supported object similar to [shell] since ggee is not maintained any
> more (or is it?).

I had some interest in maintaining ggee because of [shell], but
realized that I want a completely different object that would
definitely break backwards compatibility with [shell]. [command] is
based on [shell] code, though.

When I announced [command], it wasn't ready at all  as I found out not
much later. I discovered a few issues. Some of them are fixed now
(IOhannes helped, too) and some are still open.

What I wanted and what [shell] did not support:
  - search executable relative to patch instead of Pd start location
  - output stdout and stderr through outlets
  - ways to interact with the running process:
     - send data to stdin
     - kill the running process

The list of open issues can be found here:
https://github.com/pd-externals/command/issues

>  If there is any way I can help, let me know, though I doubt I can
> help with the C programming for this object. Testing and anything
> else you need I'd be happy to help, if I can.

If you  don't need to send something to stdin, it's already working
fine now. It should run on Linux and macOS and uses pd-lib-builder for
building. Of course, I'm glad if you can test. I can provide binaries,
if needed (I think it is not ready yet to be released through Deken).
You're welcome to open any issues or feature requests.

Re ggee:
[shell] and [getdir] were the two objects actually extended Pd's
capabilities. I consider [shell] insufficient and [getdir] is now
(soon) covered by Pd's [file] object, which is orders of magnitude more
powerful. I wouldn't base any new projects on ggee. I would keep ggee
alive purely for supporting old patches. I don't think that any new
development efforts should go into ggee.

Roman