7 questions on pd

Johannes Michael Zmölnig madman at sbox.tu-graz.ac.at
Fri Nov 6 10:10:07 CET 1998

Hi folks !

Using pd on my very slow WIN95 machine I have a few questions which I
ask you to answer...

1.    Is it possible to use an initialization file, and does it make any
sense ?

(That´s just because I have to use thousands of flags and this is hard
work, especially when trying new configurations)

2.    Why is it not possible any longer to use a working directory
different from '/directory/pd/bin' in release 0.23 (although it was in
the earlier releases) ?

(That´s just because I can´t understand why there is a BINary directory
if I have to put all my trash into it by default)

3.    Is it possible to save arrays as soundfiles to disk (something
equivalent to the READ16 message) ?

(That´s just because I don´t want to convert saved arrays to soundfiles
myself all the time, although I got some very beautiful and unexpected
sounds :: in
NOISETRACKER-format ??:?)

4.    Is it possible to use more than one (stereo) IN-/OUTput, and if
so, how ?

(That´s just because I have 6 or so audio-out-devices and 2
audio-in-devices on my soundcard)

5.    Is it possible to switch off the MIDI-devices like the audio-devs
?

(That´s because I use Mark Danks´ GEM on a PC without a soundcard, and I
feel scared every timeall those horrible error messages appear on the
screen)

6.    Do self-made abstractions eat up all the ressources ?

(That´s just because my Pentium wouldn´t do some patches, and so did
IEM´s SGI!)

7.    Is it clever to use a Pentium100 ?

(That´s just because I don´t think so)

Thanks in advance, and so on...

love

        Johannes-feeling-sorry-for-his-English M