Real-time priority

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Thu Apr 1 17:41:44 CEST 1999

Hi, I haven't been using PD lately, but thought but the recent messages
about running PD as root insterested me.

I assume that PD grabs the Posix real-time scheduling algorhihm when
running as root.
Once, when playing around with the some other real-time audio code, I
was able to use a second thread as a sort of software watchdog.
The watchdog thread would run periodically, checking and clearing a
global flag that the audio thread would write everytime it completed its
output generation loop. The watchdog thread ran one priority level
higher than the audio thread.

This was a while ago, but I remember that the concept seemed to work. Am
I missing something with this idea?

Larry

--  Larry Troxler --  lt at westnet.com  --  Patterson, NY USA  --