Real-time priority

Guenter Geiger guenter.geiger at psp-vie.be.philips.com
Tue Apr 6 14:30:23 CEST 1999

Hi Larry !

Actually , when writing about solving the realtime scheduling problem,
I was thinking about your proposal, which, I think you posted over
a year ago on the list.

With this solution it would be possible to reliably run pd under root.
We could check the performance of the system and switch to normal
scheduling, when we realize that pd uses more than, say 95% of the CPU.

I found out, that with some Computer - Soundcard combinations, pd runs
very well under root, but "clicks" when run as normal user.

A reliable solution for high priority scheduling  should give us better
performance,
at least under Linux and SGI, so we should try to find a common solution for
them.

Guenter