Real-time priority

Micheal Allen Thompson mat0001 at jove.acs.unt.edu
Tue Apr 6 23:44:44 CEST 1999

hmmm

I run pd on my SGI under root for performance with the nice negative
values to increase its priority level, but only for performance
reasons... I had a 4 SGI installation pd/GEM running for 3 days without
a crash of IRIX or pd/gem. CPU usage ranged from %50 to %98 in some
cases. This could not run under normal usage... I also was using the SGI
soft synth so that I could do 8 channel audio from my O2(and 3D graphics
and audio processing).... (when can we see 8 channel audio on SGI?)

Now I have been messing around with jMax/fts and it runs well... would pd
run as well under real-time system tunings?

i like pd better than jMax... but fts does do audio real well.

michael

On Tue, 6
Apr 1999,
Guenter Geiger wrote:

> Hi Larry !
>
> Actually , when writing about solving the realtime scheduling problem,
> I was thinking about your proposal, which, I think you posted over
> a year ago on the list.
>
> With this solution it would be possible to reliably run pd under root.
> We could check the performance of the system and switch to normal
> scheduling, when we realize that pd uses more than, say 95% of the CPU.
>
> I found out, that with some Computer - Soundcard combinations, pd runs
> very well under root, but "clicks" when run as normal user.
>
> A reliable solution for high priority scheduling  should give us better
> performance,
> at least under Linux and SGI, so we should try to find a common solution for
> them.
>
> Guenter

Michael A. Thompson
Unix SysAdmin.
[IRIX - NeXTStep - Linux]
University of North Texas
Center for Experimental Music and Intermedia
[C.E.M.I.]
Office: (940) 565-2382

* Windows 95: n.  32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of
competition.