[PD] GrIPD: A new front-end GUI builder for PD

Joseph A. Sarlo jsarlo at mambo.peabody.jhu.edu
Fri Jul 13 03:50:26 CEST 2001

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, uta wrote:
> Thank you.
> I tried just "open Filename", then the GUI showed up,
> and after few seconds
> "Connection Timedout" dialog will pop up.
> It seems the GUI fails to connect to PD, so I changed
> Options -> configure -> Connection Address from "localhost" to 127.0.0.1 or so,
> but it still fails to connect.
>
> This happens also under Windows2000.
>
> Python2.1
> wxPython 2.3.0 for python 2.1
> and  i installed python under C:/python21.
>
> Are there a Python's version compatibility ploblem?
> Any ideas?

Hmmm, I suppose the first thing to do is figure out whether it's the PD
object that's not accepting or the python GUI that's not connecting.  What
I would do is create a gripd object in pd with port 23 and telnet to it.
Just put "gripd 23" in pd then send it a "connect" message, then open up
your telnet client and connect to 127.0.0.1. If it connects, GrIPD will
say so in the console. Then send a "disconnect" message to the PD object.
Your telnet client should display "!disconnect:0|" and then disconnect if
all is good.

To test the python part, I would go get a dummy server. You can get
Tambu Dummy Server at:
http://www.xploiter.com/tambu/tambudummy.shtml
Set the port to 3490 and the protocal to TCP and have it start listening.
Then open grip.py and connect (from the file menu). If you add a button
control you should see something like "!setRcvr:rbutton0|" in the dummy
server if all is good there.

--