[PD] sort of off topic_ better coding

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Tue Jul 17 01:32:05 CEST 2001

nullpointer wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I sent a mail similar to this a while ago but to no response.
> so I will try again..
> I know this is sort of off topic but I am attempting to write audio
> synthesis programs with the intention of linking them to pd.
> I am very interested in tips on how to optomise code to allow for the
> cpu to spend its time working on the audio generation/processing rather
> than irrelevent operations..

Remove the code that deals with converting between farenheit and
centigrade temperatures.
Sorry, couldn't resist :-)

>I work on the windows platform mainly and use
> c/c++.
> Does anyone have any pointers that could help me e.t.c.
> Thinkgs like c or c++ (which is better for audio apps)

The distinction performance-wise between C and C++ is irrelevant (they
are both compiled, non garbage-collected languages)- it is mainly OS
issues, algorithms, and how to interface to the hardware that is
important.

> How to deal with audio output (frame by frame at the sampling rate with
> interrupts or in chunks?). Anyway any advice/sites/lists would be great...

Well I can give you a list - try the music-dsp list. Pefect for
non-application-specific questions like this. ]

Larry