[PD] sort of off topic_ better coding

Karl MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Tue Jul 17 04:56:25 CEST 2001

Before you go to far with this, why are you not writing an external?
Dealing with audio hardware and the like is a big pain - PD provides a
very nice framework for the creation and testing of algorithms that is a
great way to start.

Karl

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Larry Troxler wrote:

> nullpointer wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I sent a mail similar to this a while ago but to no response.
> > so I will try again..
> > I know this is sort of off topic but I am attempting to write audio
> > synthesis programs with the intention of linking them to pd.
> > I am very interested in tips on how to optomise code to allow for the
> > cpu to spend its time working on the audio generation/processing rather
> > than irrelevent operations..
>
> Remove the code that deals with converting between farenheit and
> centigrade temperatures.
> Sorry, couldn't resist :-)
>
> >I work on the windows platform mainly and use
> > c/c++.
> > Does anyone have any pointers that could help me e.t.c.
> > Thinkgs like c or c++ (which is better for audio apps)
>
> The distinction performance-wise between C and C++ is irrelevant (they
> are both compiled, non garbage-collected languages)- it is mainly OS
> issues, algorithms, and how to interface to the hardware that is
> important.
>
> > How to deal with audio output (frame by frame at the sampling rate with
> > interrupts or in chunks?). Anyway any advice/sites/lists would be great...
> >

> Well I can give you a list - try the music-dsp list. Pefect for
> non-application-specific questions like this. ]
>
> Larry

| Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
| Computer Music Department                         |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
| mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac                    |