[PD] Midi and Linux

Nicolas Lhommet nlhommet at netcourrier.com
Wed Sep 5 07:30:07 CEST 2001

You can play midi files in different ways:
- with an external midi synth connected to your soundcard external midi port
- with an internal midi synth, some soundcards have one
- with an software midi synth, like kmidi

EMU10k1 is the chipset on SB Live, it's also an internal midi synth.
snd-card-emu10k1 is a module for SbLive. I think you got Alsa drivers
installed.
If so, you'll get something like this in your /proc/asound/dev directory :
controlC0  hwC0D0
controlC1  midiC0D0
controlC2  midiC0D1
midiC0D2 midi C0D3

Let me know what is in this directory. Since I wanted to use my Soundblaster
AWE64 internal synth, I know how to deal with that stuff and Alsa and Pd
now.

nicolas