[PD] thoughts about iemlib

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Wed Sep 12 06:04:11 CEST 2001

Hi all,

Well, first of all, I don't think incorporating the GUI objects from IEMLIB
will make Pd any harder to extricate from tk if that ever has to be done.
It can always be fixed so that when you import a Pd patch into some newer,
leaner Pd, all those controls just revert to number boxes, or to some much
simpler, less versatile GUI objects that anyone could write quickly...

My own question is how to prevent confusion when all the controls can have
"send" and "receive" connections that you don't know about until you open
the dialog.  Someone could get in serious trouble copying and pasting sliders
and wondering why they all seem to jump at once...!  Also I'm baffled how to
deal with dollar signs in send and receive names for GUIs.

I'm not too worried about efficiency problems since in any case you have to
limit the number of graphical controls you have visible if you want your patch
to run well.  Someday I want to implement a kind of flow control to ease this
situation, but then you'll just see the interface react slower and slower as
you add creamy GUI objects to your patch.

No, I don't think color is CPU-expensive...  it's probably all those labels
on the VU meters that are the real killers (the more stuff you have on the
screen the more things TK has to check if it needs redrawing when sonething
changes).

Anyway, I have many more thoughts than that, but I'm focussing on getting
ready for ICMC right now... :)

cheers
Miller