[PD] harddisc activity blocks sound playback

guenter geiger geiger at epy.co.at
Thu Sep 13 14:35:45 CEST 2001

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> this should definitely rock !
> note, that i do not remember having problems with a rme-9652 and
> kernel-2.4.3 (or something),
> although i had to compile the kernel myself then.
> i am sure, that i could play-bac 2 files at least.
>
> which soundfile-player do you use ?
> under linux i definitely suggest using miller's "readsf" instead of
> zexy's "sfplay~" !!
> could this be the problem ?

I don't think so.
I'm not sure if the pd-0.34 has the same thing, but the buffersize for
the RME is changed to use 64 samples (the smallest buffer you can get
for the rme), no matter what buffersize you request.

Linux without the low latency patches isn't suited for this short buffers
when doing harddisk I/O.

Even with lowlatency you are living on the edge with this setting.

The only way I found to change this was editting s_linux.c

Guenter