[PD] writing scores[!] in pd?

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Fri Sep 28 10:27:13 CEST 2001

Michal Seta hat gesagt: // Michal Seta wrote:

> On 9/24/01 10:14 AM, "Rory Walsh" <rorytheroar at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I guess I can just hook my number boxes to makenote with a
> > midi out and then send the midi data out of 1 computer and
> > into a sequencer in another computer which can then record
> > the score? Any other suggestions?
>
> You could try (I haven't yet tried that but soon the time
> will come) use alsa's virtual MIDI device (providing you
> use alsa, of course) to route your MIDI messages to your
> favourite sequencer on the same machine.  The problem is
> that both programs need to be alsa aware and need to give
> you a possibility of selecting MIDI ports...

The apps don't need to be alsa aware, as even PD is not alsa
aware when it comes to midi. PD only uses raw midi devices,
nothing alsa special here. There even exists a OSS virtual
midi module in the kernel (v_midi.[ch]), which should work
the way you described, although I only did do this in alsa with the
snd-card-virmidi module and aconnect.
--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______