OSC (sendOSC, dumpOSC, OSCroute) ported to win32

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu umbpux at tin.it
Thu Apr 11 04:50:17 CEST 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Bob Falesch wrote:

> i need to correct myself: that p3 notebook is a 650MHz. i've done some
> load testing (sending to the pd side from max) with simple loops and to
> summarize:
>
> with a light pd, i see 40,000 bytes/sec with small packets and up to
> 127,000 bytes/sec with large packets. this is the maximum lossless
> rate--there's a significant packet loss mode just above these rates.
>
> with a heavier pd doing something approximating useful work (no dsp
> running, although i did start pd with two channels of sound out enabled)
> i measure 20,000 bytes/sec as the cpu rises to 100%.

Could you express this numbers in messages/sec? What do you exactly mean
with small and large packets? What kind of transport protocol are you
using? Is PD's implementation of OSC based on OSC-Kit?

The weak spot of OSC is parsing the address and descending the namespace
tree. Since with "small packets" you get a lower maximum rate, you could
have reached this limit.

I don't use PD but I'd like to understand how many messages this
implementation can dispatch per second.

Thanks,
Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu.