Recursive Patches

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Tue Jun 25 13:06:47 CEST 2002

hi,

I am sorry -- my original reply was meant to be a kind of a funny
trick...

Anyway,

ggkarman at airtel.net wrote:
 >>be to put something like [$1-quap $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 ...] into
 >>1-quap.pd
 > Does this mean making a new patch whose name is l-quap.pd and contains
 > a message box with the text
 > 		[;
 > 		$1-quap $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 ...]

no:  an object box, where '$1-quap' is a name of an abstraction.

 >>then make a dummy 0-quap.pd,
 > does this mean making a copy of the patch 1-quap.pd containing the same
 > message box and saving it?

no:  it might be empty, actually it might be anything, that does not
contain '$1-quap' object in it.

 >>nd type something like
 >>for fn in {2,3,4,5,6,7,8,...}-quap.pd ; do ln -sf 1-quap.pd $fn ; done
 >>into the shell
 > i guess the shell is reached by going to /edit/texteditor. Do i have to

no:  it means any standard shell interpreter.  If you are on
windows (without cygwin), then you might use a batch file, or
one-by-one click-editing, but I am not sure about emulating
symbolic links with file name aliases...  One might use copies,
instead of symlinks, but it is very cumbersome (the attached
$1-quap.pds are copies of 1-quap.pd).

Krzysztof