[PD-dev] pure-data CVS

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Mon Aug 12 14:56:05 CEST 2002

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Miller Puckette wrote:

> Hi Olaf et al,
>
> I think that putting the indocator in the object box would cause misery,
> because whenever a new name clash arose everyone would have to go edit
> all their patches ... worse yet, what if two libraries are merged or for
> some other reason the name of a library changes...
>
> So, it would be better somehow to be able to specify where to find specific
> classes as part of Pd's run-time environment, similarly to how "path" now
> works.  This isn't a real solution either though... what if you're using
> an abstraction which assumes a different "gauss" from that of the calling
> patch.  I don't know what to offer for that scenario!

Yes, I see the same problem with both, the namespace/path ( which are
really very similar) and the "dynamic prefix".

The solution in this case is of coures to require a hard coded prefix,
like xy_gauss and xz_gauss, or a better solution if the two gauss authors
find a way to communicate and put their features into one "official"
gauss object.

I have to say that personally I find the only situation where "namespaces"
are really important is for example to provide compatibility, say with
max, jMax, etc. But this luckily is a very well defined situation.

Guenter