[PD] using other s/w with pd

david casal D.Casal at uea.ac.uk
Thu Oct 3 12:10:34 CEST 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> > pps Jack is interesting, how do I get info on the linux interface?
>
> http://jackit.sourceforge.net

OAT, I have been looking at Boodler http://www.eblong.com/zarf/boodler/ ,n
a programmable sounscape tool which lets you script sound agents in
Python, both because it's a lot of fun, and because I'm using it to learn
Python. My intention was to use it with pd, but I've got problems:

 - /dev/dsp all-out war between boodler and pd. dirty solution: esd/asd
(bleargh)

 - tried to use Grill's python object to run boodler (inane idea #2). then
I realised boodler can be compiled to talk alsa, oss or esd. This makes me
think it could (if I was better at Python right now) talk Jack.

 - decided to look at pymidi and interfere with boodler that way (would
like to drive the soundscape agent interaction through midi data), but it
seems SUCH a waste to drop pd and its large library of sound objects and
in-built midi handling just to gain control of a small bunch o'python.

Ended up just using pd as midi control with netsend (boodler talks tcp),
but as said above, that misses the -largest- part of pd wonderfulness.

So, my question: Could anybody out here (Thomas?) take a look at Boodler
and give me some pointers as to the chances/degree of insanity involved in
forcing it to talk to pd, either through pyext or through Jack? It would
speed things up for me in trying to decide which way to go, and what to
read up on. Any advice on Jack/Pd in how-to form would be greatly
appreciated too...

My ultimate aim is to cross-breed boodler with some of the AIMA python
code http://www.norvig.com/python/python.html since it's already
agent-based, then run with pd to do real-time mongering + playing.

Running pd debian package 0.32p1-5_powerpc.deb on woody 2.4.18 ppc (pismo
G3) and Thomas Grill's latest pyext (thank you!) through OSS debian
defaults.

Sorry 'bout long rant.

dc

david casal                   --0+