[PD] Gem (multimodel and pix_film) glitches

Johannes Taelman Johannes.Taelman at rug.ac.be
Mon Oct 14 19:36:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Thomas Loop wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Also I'd like to know if it's normal that I have to stop and restart
> the renderer whenever I load a new set of models. The geometry doesn't
> show up otherwise.

Not so much experience with custom models, but are you changing the
argument of the model object or are you sending an "open mymodel.obj"
message to the model object? In the first case it's normal that it does
not show up.

> A last point: has anybody gotten pix_film combined with pix_alpha up
> and running? The combination of both consistently crashes pd on my
> box.

I tried the same last week also without any success (on win2k). Now I use
pix_multiimage instead. That one works stable.

There seems to be another bug in pix_film: If you keep on opening
different movies (automatically), it crashes. It seems like it opens files
but does not close them. Windows reported that there were too many files
open. I haven't looked in the source though.

And, I did some more experiments with a USB QuickCam Color in GEM+win2k. I
managed to make it grab one picture. It did only grab one picture at
initialisation, no moving image. So it may be a very small bug...

While we are discussing GEM: would it be difficult to add bump-mapping? I
think it would be a cool feature in order to produce less 'mathematic'
graphics.

regards,
j#|@