[PD] dynamic etern/subpatch instantiation?

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Fri Oct 25 09:27:05 CEST 2002

hi David (and the devs),

sure this issue is well known...

...I mean, this is the same ``dangling pointers'' horror discussed
on several occasions, like selfmod crashes, settable receive, etc.
For a clear example, try the attached patch.

I think the main headache over how to deal with this might be that
there are so many different ways, each having its weaknesses --
using t_pdsmart* instead of t_pd* (just a joke);  locking (or
deferring any modification to) `bindlisted' data;  or simply
terminating bindlist traversal after any bind/unbind action, i.e.
if 'dirty' flag is set ('inuse' flag would be needed too).

Who is going to decide?

Krzysztof