[PD] oss or alsa for hammerfall

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Mon Jan 27 14:03:53 CET 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Søren Bovbjerg wrote:

> There is a native driver in PD for the Hammerfall cards (in Linux). You
> should run 'configure --enable-rme'

Thats not true anymore if youuse the OSS driver for the hammerfall.
Just be sure to start pd with the -32bit flag in order use the full
audio quality.

> I don't think you need a special option to run PD with this driver. Btw,
> I have not tried that driver so I have no idea how good it is.

I have been working a lot with it and its about the best you can have
for running pd.

Unfortunately the ALSA hammerfall driver does not yet work well with PD
(AFAIK). The hammerfall is in some sense a very special card, and in
order to use its possibilities, the general ALSA code does not work.
You have to write specific "hammerfall" code. This has to be done yet
for pd.

> About OSS/ALSA, I have experienced a siginificant CPU usage drop with
> ALSA compared to OSS with the M-Audio Delta 410 card.

You can not compare OSS/Free and ALSA in general (wrt to performace).
OSS/Free is an API, that does not have to do with the specific
implementation, whereas ALSA is a sounddriver framework where the
different drivers share a lot of code.

Greetings,

Guenter