[PD] wacom usb tablet as controller ?

Christian Klippel ck at mamalala.de
Wed Apr 9 15:59:33 CEST 2003

hi maurizio,

Am Mittwoch, 9. April 2003 15:21 schrieb Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu:
> [...snip...]
> In my understanding this is the better solution except when you want to
> use the same device to control both the DSP and the rest of the GUI.

the event interface can be opened multiple times with the same device, for
example with serveral event objects opening the same device file. or, of
course, x11 opening the event device (or the usb mouse device, or whatever)
and a object opens it a second time later. i already tried that on my laptop
with the jmax object i made, using a usb mouse for x and the object, as well
as an additional mac keyboard and a usb tablet. you can have x accessing the
usual usb-mouse or usb-keyboard device, while there is still the event device
file for that, which can be accessed independantly.

this would also allow to put event reading objects everywhere you want and
need, plus you can easily decode any part of the event without selecting any
special type (like starting a patch with any button press, regardless if it
is from a joystick or a keyboard or mouse ....).

maybe its possible to quickly use the jmax object source with flext to get it
into pd ? its not really complete (like having one object opening multiple
devices, or allowing to write to them ...), but i think its a usable starting
point .....

greets,

chris