pdp on osx (was Re: [PD] pdp.pd_darwin error: undefined reference to _gluOrt

Tom Schouten doelie at zzz.kotnet.org
Tue Apr 15 03:13:58 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 02:39, you wrote:
> When this package was announced, it said that PDP on OSX required an
> additional install of libquicktime using Fink. I've been trying to get
> libquicktime for a while now and am still unable to. I've followed all the
> instructions for downloading and installing "unstable" packages--Fink can
> definitely find it, but it still won't install. Guess it really is
> unstable? Any advice?

you need to install several unstable packages it depends on. which ones i
don't remember. they are mentioned when you do "fink install libquicktime0"
after copying the libquicktime0.* package descriptions to the "local" dir.
just copy the mentioned dependency files to the "local" dir and try again.

fink then installs the source modules and compiles libquicktime from source.

i know this is a very cumbersome procedure, but until libquicktime is moved
to stable it is probably the easiest way to do it. libquicktime, once
installed, seems to work fine. the only reason it is still is in unstable is
because the package maintainer didn't receive enough positive feedback yet.

> Is libquicktime still necessary for PDP on OSX, or
> can I just go ahead and add the PDP Darwin file to my externals and not
> worry about libquicktime.

libquicktime is still necessary, as is an xserver.

you can compile and run pdp on osx without x and libquicktime installed, but
you won't be able to do much with it.