[PD] teaching PD to newbies [WAS: Re: [GEM] GEM users request ]

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Mon Apr 28 17:58:18 CEST 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> I'd second putting a "doc" section to the CVS (although I've come to
> hate Sourceforge's bad reliability in regard to cvs-access, grrr)

There is a doc section already, I have put Damien Henry's pd-msg
package there.
You are right with the SF CVS access, it has gotten worse the last
few month. Hope they do something about it.

> I think, at first we should not force a certain format of the
> tutorials on the authors. In the end, I think, HTML is not a good
> storage format. Something like Python's reStructuredText
> [http://docutils.sourceforge.net/] or a sgml/xml format
> [http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/] will be easier to
> convert to different output formats, like doing a printed book and
> such.
>
> But discussing formats will only keep us away from doing the needed
> writing work, so I propose to allow any kind of format except binary
> document formats. To clarify: No MS-Word documents!

Plain HTML is not that bad after all, as a beginning.
Its better to start working than having the barrier of having to
learn yet another system. ...

Guenter