[PD] Graphics generation

e skogen eskogen at usfamily.net
Sat May 24 06:46:53 CEST 2003

I have been very happy experimenting with GEM, and I would recommend it
to you. If you delve a little deeper you may find some of the
capabilities you're interested in are available already.

For instance, as i recall, GEM's pix_sig2pix~ will allow you to convert
audio data to pixels, and pix_pix2sig~ does the reverse. There is a
great possibility for visualizations of audio with PD and GEM. You could
generate visuals and control video with FFT analyzers for a VU meter /
winamp vis style effect. Or trigger video with midi for more
correlation... or write a patch that manipulates video like a sampler
manipulates audio.. or cut up video-recorded conversations and faces
into new languages based on voice input from the audience...

I had some brief experience with Framestein, and it was positive, but it
seemed there was more documentation for GEM, and GEM made more sense to
me at the time.

The feedback loop idea is interesting to me, let me know how you
progress. I don't know much about video, but video feedback always
seemed like an interesting effect to play with..

When you have a concept for your installation in mind, PD and GEM might
be just the tools to realize it.

But one thing I've learned is to have the concept first, and then find
the technology to do it. If I spend to much time looking at nice
technologies, I never get any concepts realized! :)