[PD] PD Launcher/External Manager

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon May 26 18:24:42 CEST 2003

On Sunday, May 18, 2003, at 09:49 America/New_York, bbogart at ryerson.ca
wrote:

> Hello Hans-Christoph,
>
> I think the first version will assume external binaries have already
> been extracted/built.

> The packaging thing makes me a little nervous because I was hoping the
> system would be a single tcl script that would run on all platforms.
> Only problem is the availibility of different packaging systems (tgz,
> dpkg, zip etcc) and dealing with them from inside the launcher.

I think that making a system to track down various installers and
install them is basically duplicating the effort to have pd developers
use the CVS.  If the vast majority of developers use the CVS, then
there would not be a compelling need to have an elaborate system to
track down externals since most of them would already be included in
the installer.    So I think working making the CVS as accessible as
possible to all Pd developers, and encouraging people to use the CVS is
more important.

> In my vision of the launcher I think it would be great that it gets
> integrated into PD somehow. I don't think inside PD would be the place
> to do this though, since the libs have to be loaded before that. (load
> PD, change prefs, then load PD again to load the libs/options) Also
> functionality not possible with .pdrc would be managing different sets
> of options. I do this with aliases on my linux machine, with often 3
> lines of flags, all loading the same PD, but with different options. I
> think it would be very useful to have sets of these options.
>
> In terms of windows I don't think it makes any sense to write an ugly
> .bat file when this stuff can be managed within tcl itself.

I think this should all be in Tcl since its cross-platform and already
there when using pd.  As for doing it 'inside' pd, it would easy enough
to have a Tcl script handle all of the startup options, then launch pd.
  So basically, it would be like a GUI .bat launcher written in Tcl.
But I think we should also start moving towards a 'Preferences' idea,
so that you can change these settings while pd is running.  For now,
you could just have the Preferences panel just rewrite the .pdrc, then
you'd need to restart for the changes to take effect.  But then, as
developers are willing to dig deeper into pd, the Preferences could be
made to change this stuff in realtime.  That's my vision of how this
should work.

But a related question is, what is preventing Windows from having a
.pdrc?  Anybody know?  Having .pdrc be standard across all platforms
would simplify this effort.

.hc