interleaved arrays (was: Re: [PD] PD n00b: counter kludge)

Thomas Grill t.grill at gmx.net
Mon Jul 28 19:20:14 CEST 2003

Hi Krzysztof,

> bear with my dumbness... do I understand well, that you are
> talking about making the cpu cache happy?  Have you done
> real-world measurements?

I'm currently profiling xsample and i'll try provide some numbers when i've
got them.
Currently, i'm trying to include playing from multiple buffers, and it's
non-trivial to keep track of it.

> Is making cpu happy worth making people unhappy with sacrificing
> the flexible, uniform, and standard Pd feature for a few cycles?

No. As you know, flext also trades a bit of efficiency against a better
interface.
But, the question is: Are people happy with using mono buffers?
I'm not entirely.

> And, even if it was so... perhaps, it is more like time to think
> about introducing interleaved arrays into Pd's core, so that the
> soundfiler, tab<whatever>~, etc. are all aware of them?

It's always time to think about extending things....
however, Miller for sure has also had his reasons to do it in the way it
is...

best greetings,
Thomas