[PD] getting started on OS X 10.2.8

kevin parks kp8 at mac.com
Wed Nov 26 08:07:19 CET 2003

I sort of got pd to work (you know Tcl/Tk, is often doesn't look like
it is working even when it is *^-^* ) by biting the bullet and trying
OSXPM, a tool which frightens me, to uninstall, by hand anything that
looked or smelled like Tcl/tk or pd and installing from scratch.

I notice another disturbing thing. I am not sure if it is just tk
acting like tk or if it is something specific to my install, but i
notice that i can't open a patch, highlight something, cut it, and
paste it into a new patch. Seems like a mind-numbingly basic operation.
Is is that Tcl/Tk is crummy on OS X? Just crummy in general? or is pd
still like in a deep beta release? I wasted way too much time messing
with SuperCollider, a program whose massive power is matched in
magnitude only by the ugliness of its syntax, the poverty of it's
documentation, and the completeness of its backwards incompatibility. I
want something that i can get some work done on. Life's short. I
thought that i would give pd a try. Are folks successful (making
pieces, performing) in working with pd on Mac OS X?

back to the manual..

cheers,

kevin