[PD] getting started on OS X 10.2.8

Adam Lindsay atl at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Wed Nov 26 11:46:48 CET 2003

kevin parks said this at Wed, 26 Nov 2003 02:07:19 -0500:

>I notice another disturbing thing. I am not sure if it is just tk
>acting like tk or if it is something specific to my install, but i
>notice that i can't open a patch, highlight something, cut it, and
>paste it into a new patch. Seems like a mind-numbingly basic operation.
>Is is that Tcl/Tk is crummy on OS X? Just crummy in general? or is pd
>still like in a deep beta release? I wasted way too much time messing

Cutting and pasting across patches should work. What you describe is not
normal; it should work. In fact, that's my main way of learning/getting
things done... copying from tutorials and modifying things from there.

>On Wednesday, November 26, 2003, at 01:19  AM, kevin parks wrote:

>> installed, but let the installer overwrite that with 8.4.1 since the
>> site said that there pd "seems" to have trouble with 8.4.2 and 8.4.4.
>> I am not sure what that is about. I'd wouldn't mind knowing if it does
>> have trouble with it or not, "seems" is not a word one likes
>> associated with software. It is like i "seem" to be bleeding from my

Later versions of Tcl/TkAqua not entirely functional, but no one has
really tracked down the root cause. So empirically speaking, stick to
8.4.1, as distributed.

>> whatever, but refuses to open any patches and when i try it just keeps
>> opening shells but not patch to run or edit.... I tried opening
>> through the menu but all my .pd files are greyed out.

I'm not sure how you're "open"ing these patches, but to head off some
potential complaints, double clicking patches in the finder is still on
the primitive side in terms of its developing support, so it's better to
open things from the Open dialog box.
What you describe here is again not normal behaviour.

>> Someone please, i am begging, helping get this thing running, and
>> also, is it at all possible to use GEM on Mac OS X and how do you do
>> that?

Chris Clepper has a site with bleeding-edge versions of GEM:
<http://taproot.dyndns.org/~cgc/>

Cheers,
adam
ps. Sorry you're frustrated, but I humbly suggest you chill out maybe two
notches. This is a pretty mellow group on the list (usually).

 Adam T. Lindsay                      atl at comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Computing Dept, Lancaster University   +44(0)1524/594.537
 Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/593.608