[PD] Announcing "RRADical Pd"

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Nov 28 14:31:08 CET 2003

Hallo,
David NG McCallum hat gesagt: // David NG McCallum wrote:

> Interesting with what you've done about using one file to hold the
> settings for multiple abstractions, though... I'll have to think more
> about that... Actually, that's going to be awesome. You could have *all*
> possible drum settings all stored in just one settings file... hmmmm...
> Good work, Frank. :)

Well, actually it's just using a feature that Thomas had already built
in with far sight. I just only now discovered it. With only one file
it doesn't matter at all anymore, where the patch data is saved. You
could save it anywhere, it's just a single file.

Actually I was investigating pool as a means of standard persistance
for a project I will work on the whole December, that I could just as
well present shortly now, because I'd love to get help from you and
others doing similar graph on parent patches.

My goal is to create a collection of patches, that make Pd easier and
faster to use for people who are more used to software like Reason or
Reaktor. For that I would like to create patches, that solve
real-world problems on a higher level of abstraction than the standard
Pd objects do. All these high level abstractions should come with
(detachable and changable) GUIs built in and must use a common way of
saving states. That's were pool came in.

So for example instead of a basic lop~ low pass filter something more
complete like a recreation of the Sherman filter bank should be
included in that collection. My sseq and angriff patches followed this
idea in general, but there are much more patches needed.

Like

 * a sample player (adapt Gyre?)
 * Various OSC/LFO with preset waveforms
 * drum machine
 * guitar simulator
 * grain sample player
 * more sequencers
 * basically a lot of things like that:
   http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/closeup.html

Not that I want to make Pd be Reason, no way. But pre-fabricated
high-level abstractions are what I want to collect because I see a use
for it.

My project also has gotten a marketing name already:

  RRADical Pd

with RRAD as an acronym for "Reusable and Rapid Audio Development"
with Pd. RRADical Pd will (very likely) be presented at the next Linux
Audio Developer conference in Germany at the end of April so there is
still some time to actually make it take off before.

I'd like to discuss ideas for this project here. Next week I will also
set up a Wiki-area on pure-data.org where thoughts and results for
this can be made public (and persistent).

ciao