[PD] Announcing "RRADical Pd"

e skogen eskogen at usfamily.net
Fri Nov 28 18:40:40 CET 2003

hi frank, list

i've been moving toward this type of reusable idea with my patches, and
i think it's a good idea to support something like this as a group. the
problem has always been creating abstractions than can mingle. everyone
has varying programming styles, and with a system as open as pd, having
abstractions communicate in a common way can be difficult.

one thing i've found useful is routing abstractions using OSC. each
abstraction is given a name as it's first argument, and it can
automatically be referenced from that point on with:

/pd/synth/(name)

so the user just needs to know how to create the abstraction and give it
a name, and then set a sequencer to send OSC commands to that synth
using a standard interface. this way, i can have lots of different synth
abstractions controlled the same way.

i'll try to post some examples soon, but i guess what i'd like to see is
some collaboration on a higher level framework. i'm with you on this
idea frank.

-- eric