[PD] Gem/Pd crashing in edit mode in osx

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Nov 28 21:43:54 CET 2003

On Friday, Nov 21, 2003, at 23:47 Europe/Brussels, chris clepper wrote:

> At 11:37 AM -0800 11/21/03, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> The build system for MacOSX is all Makefiles, so it makes sense to
>> have a
>> Makefile for GEM too, instead of completely redoing the package
>> building
>> in a different way.  The Makefile for GEM doesn't have to do anything
>> but
>> make the .pkg.  This way, its just a matter of copying the packaging
>> stuff from another Makefile and with a few minor changes, it'll work
>> with GEM.
>
> So you don't want to build GEM from source, but rather incorporate it
> into the packaging system?  How are you doing this now with the > binary?

The packaging system builds everything from source from the CVS.  Right
now for GEM, I have been semi-manually packaging and including it, but
that takes too long.

> I know very little about .pkg building at this point, but I'm guessing
> the OSX installer is a meta-package and all the externals are packages
> inside it?

correct.

> Is there any reason why PackageMaker can't be used to build the
> installer?

When I started with this build system, Apple hadn't released info on
the command line options for PackageMaker.app.  They have now, so a
Makefile can now make a .pkg from a file created by PackageMaker.  But
the current method, using /usr/bin/package, works well and is easy to
imitate so I don't plan on changing the Makefiles, unless
/usr/bin/package disappears.

> One note about the GEM builds: you will have to figure out a way to
> distribute all three builds for each processor type.  The G4 or G5
> build cannot be run on G3 CPUs or GEM will crash will illegal
> instruction exceptions.

I think that CPU optimization needs to be tackled on a Pd-wide level.
Pd would benefit from optimizations on all of the platforms, and all of
the code.  But to make CPU-optimized releases workable, there needs to
be one place where you set the target CPU, and everything else checks
that one place when compiling.

Currently, I am using the G4 version of GEM in the install, since
that's what I have.  But I haven't compiled GEM in a while.  IIRC, you
have to use the GUI to enable the G4/Altivec optimiations. If/when I do
the GEM package, it would only use whatever works from a Makefile.  The
idea here is to make building installers take up a little of my (or
anyone's) time as possible, thereby making frequent releases much more
likely.

.hc

> cgc
>
>> .hc

____

deliberately throwing it away
to benefit those who profit from scarcity."
							-John Gilmore