[PD] earning a living coding Pd

delire delire at selectparks.net
Sat Jan 31 02:16:24 CET 2004

really i think this whole question is quite stupid. if you want to make money
coding in PD or proce55ing or lisp or python then get a business card and try
and meet people with intelligent haircuts. this is as much anyone's
'business' as your favourite breakfast cereal. may a thousand golden cats
smile at you.

as for the media arts funding, this is from where my (and many others on this
list) primary income derives; grants, research funding and performances.
however, the 'media market' you speak of is not centred around point of sale
goods and rarely is it even software services. work (digital artifacts or
softwares) are not bought and sold. instead an artist is paid to present or
show in a given festival.

put simply, if you want to get paid for coding in Pure Data then get funding
for your favourite project, become a musician that people actually care
about, or work for an institution that cares enough to pay for your ideas.

like the good ol' days before the copyright FUD, recording artists made income
not from record sales but from concerts. strangely the microeconomics of the
'media arts scene' has been this way since it's conception.

less money is spent on software by media artists than painters on paint. this
may be BS, if so prove it to me (& design companies don't count). typically
artists themselves don't buy software, though often they will pay for a
developer or consultant to assist in production.

secondly the media artist is usually already the developer; making the
software is part of creating the work itself. it's all part of the fun.

keep kool til after skool,

de/