[PD] Anyone running PD on VIA processors?

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Thu Mar 25 10:11:11 CET 2004

Hello,

> Has anyone here tried running Pure Data on the VIA processors, as found on
> the Mini-ITX or Nano-ITX motherboards? The size of these motherboards is
> very appealing (the Nano-ITX is only 12x12 cm), but I have read some pretty
> underwhelming reports of performance on these processors.

We have made a soundserver with an epia board (without moving parts, usb-key
as harddisk) see:

   http://iem.kug.ac.at/projekte/composition/linux-Soundserver

> Not sure how Linux support stands, and I am also not sure if there are ALSA
> drivers for the built-in soundchips. It would also remain to be seen if the
they works, but bad. Its good for noisy TVs but not  for speakers.
> small cache size is a problem - it seems like cache size is critical to
> performance with MAX/MSP.

performance is half of a athlon with same cpu speed, but haveing an 667Mhz via
is like an 400MHz pentiumIII which is quite enough for most installation.

mfg winfired