[PD] Re: Gaining access to /usr/local/lib/pd/extra in the Finder?

James Tittle II tigital at mac.com
Thu Apr 8 15:28:06 CEST 2004

On Apr 8, 2004, at 4:39 AM, guenter geiger wrote:
> A Mac user suggested that it would be more "mac like" to put the whole
> Pd distribution into one single Application directory instead of
> using the unix file system standard.
>
> I think technically it is feasable, what do you think about producing
> the Mac packages that way ?

hey guenter,

...yeh, not only desirably and technically feasable, but already done
several times over ;-)  I came up with "pd++.app" (
http://homepage.mac.com/tigital ) because pd needed to be correctly
registered with the window manager in order to get window events
working when using Gem (think dragging the gemwin around, grabbing the
mouse/keyboard)...it also has a popup text entry to allow entry of
flags at startup (but this seems to bork the .pdrc
functionality)...anyway, it was just a sketch to get the gem stuff
correct...

...more promising is stuff like uPDated, which is a wrapped up version
of impd ( http://pure-data.iem.at/Members/gerard/uPDated ) using a
script building application called Platypus...this is really the way to
go, I think, because it now allows tcl/tk/wish shell to be bundle
inside also, so you really have a "place anywhere" double clickable
application...well, ya still need to have the documentation/example
patches somewhere...

...I plan on making a standalone app the "platypus" way, kinda like a
"tigital distro", with gem and stuff I use...

l8r,
jamie