[PD] Re: Gaining access to /usr/local/lib/pd/extra in the Finder?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Apr 8 16:37:39 CEST 2004

On Thursday, Apr 8, 2004, at 09:28 America/New_York, James Tittle II
wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2004, at 4:39 AM, guenter geiger wrote:
>> A Mac user suggested that it would be more "mac like" to put the whole
>> Pd distribution into one single Application directory instead of
>> using the unix file system standard.
>>
>> I think technically it is feasable, what do you think about producing
>> the Mac packages that way ?
>
> hey guenter,
>
> ...yeh, not only desirably and technically feasable, but already done
> several times over ;-)  I came up with "pd++.app" (
> http://homepage.mac.com/tigital ) because pd needed to be correctly
> registered with the window manager in order to get window events
> working when using Gem (think dragging the gemwin around, grabbing the
> mouse/keyboard)...it also has a popup text entry to allow entry of
> flags at startup (but this seems to bork the .pdrc
> functionality)...anyway, it was just a sketch to get the gem stuff
> correct...
>
> ...more promising is stuff like uPDated, which is a wrapped up version
> of impd ( http://pure-data.iem.at/Members/gerard/uPDated ) using a
> script building application called Platypus...this is really the way
> to go, I think, because it now allows tcl/tk/wish shell to be bundle
> inside also, so you really have a "place anywhere" double clickable
> application...well, ya still need to have the documentation/example
> patches somewhere...
>
> ...I plan on making a standalone app the "platypus" way, kinda like a
> "tigital distro", with gem and stuff I use...

Actually, I think that using the AppMain.tcl would be a much better way
to go.  You won't have the two icon problem, you can also include Wish
Shell.app and Tcl/Tk inside, it seems to be the 'official' Tcl/Tk way
to make a MacOS X double-clickable app according to Jim Ingham, you can
do standard MacOS X file type assignments, and it requires no new
software only what we are already using.  You can apparently also use
ProjectBuilder to make Tcl apps in this way.  Wish Shell.app is an
example.

A number of other applications are using the AppMain.tcl already,
(Wavesurfer, TkCVS) so there are a number examples to work from.

____

                     There is no way to peace, peace is the way.
										-A.J. Muste