[PD] ICC compile [or: PD + P4 + Linux = massive headache!]

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Mon May 10 01:00:47 CEST 2004

> After almost constant fighting with nastiness like denormal numbers
> and unexplained CPU spikes with PD under Linux on a P4 processor, I
> have decided to look into recompiling it using ICC. I reached this
> conclusion on that grounds that PD never ran so terribly before when I
> used windoze, and it runs quite nice with an Athlon processor under
> Linux, so I figure it must be a compiler issue.
i'm not completely shure how icc for ia32 can handle denormals ... their
64bit compiler has a flag to flush denormals to zero, but not the ia32
compiler...

well, there is pd's PD_BADFLOAT macro that _should_ to that, too, but
this has only effect if the nubers are already denormal, so maybe it's
a good idea to reset the value to flush every number a 24 / 32 bit dac
would consider to be zero to zero...

> Can anyone give me a set of recommended flags, or any other helpful
> tips, for doing this? I'm still stuck trying to figure out how to get
> ICC working [+ waiting for stupid fscking 'registration key' to arrive
if you are using the current devel branch from cvs, just configure with
--enable-icc --enable-optimize=pentium4 ... i didn't wanted to edit my
makefiles every time...

cheers...

 Tim                          mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de
                              ICQ: 96771783
--
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,