[PD] smallest possible value of a delay-time

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Fri May 14 17:32:56 CEST 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> hi
>
> i had a discussion with a teacher today. the topic was the smallest
> delay-time possible. in his opinion one sample is the atom of signal and
> cannot be divided anymore. in my opinion it should be possible to get
> shorter delays than 1 samples with interpolation. my argument was: it should
> be possible to set the values of each sample so, that the resulting signal
> would be similar to a digitized analogue signal with a shorter than 1 sample
> delay.

It's certainly possible to get bandlimited fractional sample delays, using
all pass filters. I don't remember if the minimum possible delay of the
filter (if it can give a fractional delay less than one sample). But this
is the technique used to tune physical waveguide models.

Try searching the web for "fractional" "waveguide" "allpass" or the like.

Larry Troxler